Monday, December 04, 2006
Had my conversation test this morning, and I did really really seriously bad. I was too nervous until I can't remember anything during the test. My tounge was tied up and I couldn't speak well and clearly. Arggghhhh .... I hope I can pass this test, I don't like to re-sit.

The test was divided into 2 parts, responding to symptom and prescription counselling. I think I did quite OK for the prescription counselling, but I did really bad for response to symptom.

We were given 8 minutes to prepare for the test, which means to use the only 8 mins to read through Patient Information Leaflet and BNF, for the prescription counselling. Any extra time then will be used as preparation for respond to symptom.

I am really weak in respond to patient. Let's say during the test this morning, on the prescription counselling section. There is a label stated in the Patient Information Leaflet that do not take alcohol during the course of medication, and I told the patient not to take alcohol with the drug, she kept on bargaining with me to be allowed to drink a little alcohol. She said that she is having a birthday party at the weekend with friends and wants to drink a few cup of wine, I said no, you are not allowed, but she acted like very pity, so desperate to have a few sip. I think I am too cruel to actually say NO to her, but I did say NO, because this is not the real patient, and my marks will be deducted if I am kind enough to say YES to the patient.

How if there is the real patient in front of me acting the same thing? Can I be kind to give her exemption? or I have to be cruel to say NO just for her own health.

I got a patient with headache for my response to symptom section. I did quite well at the beginning, asking the WWHAM question as usual, but I missed out the last part which is M-medication. How can a pharmacist sell drug to his/her patient without asking is there any medication you are currently taking? Over the Counter medicine? Inhaler? Oilment or cream? There might be contra-indication between their current medication with the drug you are selling to them. Ohhh Gosh, I did a serious mistake, and I think I lost a lot of marks for not asking that. I might be killing a patient if this were a real situation.

The second mistake I've done during the test was, I was smart enough to think that headache must be the pain on the head. Why I wasn't smater a little bit to ask where exactly the pain is? Pain in different part of head may indicate different kind of headache. Argghhh, big mistake again. I didn't even ask how severe is the pain. :<

Now, the only thing I can do is to pray harder, so that I can pass. Wish me luck.
 
posted by Lay Ming at 11:52 AM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At December 4, 2006 at 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    haha WWHAM questions i know that! well 8mins is certainly not enough for inexperienced pharmacists like us to fully analyse on a patient's condition n some more recommend the most appropriate drugs. i did badly on my this section too. my patient mentioned he had a transplant before n it did not occur to me that he is an immunocompromised so i didnt consider it during my drug recommendation. they siao one la, my patient somemore said that he is gonna get married the day after so he HAVE to drink alcohol and i so want to ask him whether he wants to get married or go to hell. ofcoz i said NO to him. coz u hav to be firm as a good pharmacist my dear n dont think too much for the patient coz this is not ur responsibility. u job is to save lifes n not as a social worker.

     
  • At December 4, 2006 at 9:14 PM, Blogger Lay Ming

    yeah ... the patient is really ki siao.!!!!!

    ask so much question as if I am a expert. i wish i could just shout at them, keep your mouth shut, and listen to me, dun ever try to persuade me, i said no means NO.!

    actually the 8 mins is for the preparation time, and the actual communication is 4 mins each for both the response to symptom and prescription counselling.

    In the prescription counselling section, I finished at exactly 4 mins, but for the response to symptom I finished really early, maybe because I forgot to ask so many questions.

    The good news is I don't need to recommend product yet for my level, so just ask all the appropriate questions to analyse their condition and only said "I recommend this to you". hahaha .... But I'll definately die when I'm doing my 3rd year.